Week Eight: King

I knowww everyone in class had said King was dry, and it wasn't their favorite, but nonetheless I really wanted to try and read it. Though I must say, everyone's comments on it were right on. I've always been really interested in civil rights and what our country has gone through to reach the place we are today with those ideals. I was really into Martin Luther King Jr for awhile so I thought it was worth giving King a shot.

Opening up King made me realize how important it is to handle your text with just as much care as your panels in a comic. The text is AWEFUL in King. It looks like someone just opened up Word and typed it up and pasted in Anderson's illustrations. Eh yucky. And as stuck up as it may sound it makes me not want to read it.

Ho Che Anderson's style is really interesting. I fee like it changes page to page. I didn't like the first couple of pages of King but once you start getting towards the end I really like how some of the panels were coming out. Graphic shapes and flat patterns. Cool stuff, reminds me of a girl's work here. I think Anderson should have looked into how to organize pages/panels more though. Some pages just felt so overwhelming it was hard to figure out what was going on and who was talking to you. And the speech bubble lines would go forever! I think Anderson needed to allow room for more panels to say everything he wanted.

Anderson's second King book looked more promising to me from the cover. And on the inside I could definitely see that his approach to each page was simplified and muchhh easier to read. But the change in drawing style wasn't my favorite. It became much more cartoony, less abstract and painterly, which I had enjoyed in the first King.