Week Ten: Blacksad!

Ohhh Blacksad was a fun find for this week. Though it was listed on the resource page in French I was able to follow the story pretty perfectly. I translated a few panels to be sure I was correct in my assumptions but it was really refreshing to just be able to look through a comic and understanding the whole story. Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido did a great great job telling the story. The whole comic feels like film noir too, really awesome shots and great drawings. 


I went through Blacksad: Quelque part entre les ombres and Arctic Nation. Hmm betweeeen the two, I'm not sure which I liked more. The story had more depth in Arctic Nation, I think that's just because there was more of a back story with the polar bear and the idea of dealing with "fur color" relates back to the civil rights movement and segregation. Compared to the death of an ex-lover, it just felt heavier and a little more established. But I enjoyed both.


Other than Maus I think Blacksad has been my favorite comic of the semester. It's a work that I would definitely reference for composition and shots in my own work.